First United Methodist Church of Bristol, Tennessee
Your Weekly e-Newsletter and Events Schedule
Welcome to First UMC! We are so blessed by your part in our faith community.
In-person worship is at 11:00a.m. Sundays in the Sanctuary AND can be viewed on the church YouTube page or through the link on the church Facebook page.
Church Office Hours:
Sundays 2-6 PM
Tuesdays 5-8 PM
Wednesdays 5-8 PM
Connect to Rev. Irwin email, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
The CDC has designated our area as
GREEN (LOW) for COVID-19 transmission this week, so:
> Masks are optional for gathering in person – please respect the safety concerns of others. Masks will be available if you forget to bring your own.
> If you are unwell, we hope you will stay home and join our fellowship virtually.
Email Prayer Chain
If you are interested in being a part of the email prayer chain, please email Pastor Casey. The messages will be distributed through our email lists on Realm.
Worship This Week
May 28, 2023
Scriptures: Genesis 11:1-9 Acts 2:1-21
Sermon: Come, Holy Spirit! …. Rev. Casey Irwin
Serving This Month
5/7 Sue Dietz
5/14 Dawn Shores
5/28 Alan Gorrell
Serving In June
6/4 Phil Haga
6/11 Dawn Shores
*Please make arrangements to trade with someone if you will be unable to serve in this way. Any emergency changes can be handled by those present at worship.
Last Sunday at First UMC
May 21, 2023
Lunch with us!
Sunday, June 4, join us after 11 AM worship for a potluck luncheon in the fellowship hall. If the weather cooperates, we’ll move onto the lawn and enjoy good food and time together.
United Women in Faith
Tuesday, June 9 at 5 PM at Red Pepper Indian restaurant.
Chancel Choir News
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord! Everyone is invited to be a part of the choir. We share simple, high quality songs so that the trained and untrained singers all have a way to share their gifts.
Next presentation – Sunday, June 18
Rehearsals are immediately following 11 a.m. worship – next dates TBA
Contact Phil with any questions.
Applications for Holston Habitat’s Homeownership Program will be available June 1 – July 6, 2023. This round of applications will be selecting individuals and families for 2-5 bedroom homes to be built in Kingsport, Johnson City, and Bristol AND a 2-3 bedroom home to be built in Elizabethton in summer/fall 2024. More information about this program and it’s selection criteria can be found online at www.holstonhabitat.org/homeownership .
If you or someone you know are interested in applying for this affordable home-ownership opportunity, please reach out to Holston Habitat at 423-239-7689 to request an application packet.
Holston Annual Conference has invited all churches that are remaining United Methodist to join together in praying for God’s best in our midst. Pray with all the UMC across our region as we see what God can do when we all seek together:
From the Pastor’s Pen
May 25, 2023
Come, Holy Spirit!
On Pentecost, we welcome the presence of God the Spirit, filling us and empowering us with more than we can ever be on our own. As we read the scriptures about fire being the visible indicator that the Spirit was with the disciples, we hope you’ll wear one of the colors of fire to celebrate with us! Let’s set our sanctuary metaphorically ablaze as our spirits worship our God!
Sandy and Alan Gorell in memory of Dale Barker.
Altar Flower Sign Up
Share the beauty of God’s creation as a gift to God and our congregation.
Select your date, and list your name and any details about the flowers. Examples – “in loving memory of _____”, “in celebration of _____”— or it can simply be a gift to the glory of God.
- Cost $50 for a professional arrangement.
- Label your check or envelope as designated to the altar flower fund, with the date you signed up for.
- Deadline for sign up and payment is the Sunday before.
- You may take the flowers after Sunday service or we will distribute them as we are able.
Photo by Penny Hudson
Contact Sue Bryngelson or the church office with any questions.
Send Your Pictures, News, and Announcements to Publish in the Newsletter
For each publication, information is needed by noon on Wednesday.
Giving to Ministries at First UMC
What can I give towards?
- General Fund- monthly expenses for upkeep and ministries
- Designated Gifts- towards a specific project or ministry
- Missions Giving- to a specific mission or a general gift to be split among our mission partners
How often should I give?
- Everyone manages their funds differently. Some give weekly when they attend worship. Other families give monthly when their income is deposited. Still others give at varying times to match a need or a project.
Our only request is that you prayerfully consider how God has called you to support the church and ministries with your fund. We challenge you to be good and faithful stewards of what is entrusted to you.
How can I give?
- In person
- Offering envelope booklets are available for you to take home. Each include 53 undated envelopes for weekly giving, or spread them out over time if you give on a different schedule. Please pick up yours from the rear of the sanctuary.
- Offering envelopes have returned to the pews as well. If you forget yours, please take one for identifying your giving.
- ACH – contact us directly for a confidential form. This type of giving will automatically withdraw the amount your choose directly from your bank account
- With online giving you can contribute from your checking account, or give with a debit or credit card. You also have the option to make your gift recurring.
- Website: onrealm.org/fumcbristol/-/form/give/now or any of the “Give Online” buttons
- Text: from your cell phone, text FIRSTUMCBRISTOL to 73256. This will open up a link for you to choose how you give.
Calendar of Events
May 25-31, 2023
9:30 a.m. Sunday School
11:00 a.m. Morning Worship
7:00 p.m. AA Meetings
7:00 p.m. AA Meetings
7:00 p.m. AA Meetings
Sunday, June 4
Potluck Luncheon after Worship
Annual Conference at Lake Junaluska
Sunday, June 11
Trustees Meeting after worship
Pastor Casey vacation
Change to 9:30 worship
First United Methodist Church
Rev. Casey Irwin, Pastor
322 Vance Dr., Bristol, TN 37620
Our Vision – Building A Community Where Anyone Can Become A Deeply Committed Christian