First United Methodist Church of Bristol, Tennessee
Your Weekly e-Newsletter and Events Schedule
Welcome to First UMC! We are so blessed by your part in our faith community.
In-person worship is at 11:00a.m. Sundays in the Sanctuary AND can be viewed on the church YouTube page or through the link on the church Facebook page.
Church Office Hours:
Sundays 2-6 PM
Tuesdays 5-8 PM
Wednesdays 5-8 PM
Connect to Rev. Irwin email, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
The CDC has designated our area as
GREEN (LOW) for COVID-19 transmission this week, so:
> Masks are optional for gathering in person – please respect the safety concerns of others. Masks will be available if you forget to bring your own.
> If you are unwell, we hope you will stay home and join our fellowship virtually.
Email Prayer Chain
If you are interested in being a part of the email prayer chain, please email Pastor Casey. The messages will be distributed through our email lists on Realm.
Worship This Week
May 21, 2023
Scriptures: Matthew 28:16-20 Matthew 10:5-15
Sermon: Live to Serve: Ready, Set, Go! …. Rev. Casey Irwin
Serving This Month
5/7 Sue Dietz
5/14 Dawn Shores
5/28 Alan Gorrell
Serving In June
6/4 Phil Haga
6/11 Dawn Shores
*Please make arrangements to trade with someone if you will be unable to serve in this way. Any emergency changes can be handled by those present at worship.
Last Sunday at First UMC
May 14, 2023
Sixth Sunday after Easter
Lunch with us!
Sunday, June 4, join us after 11 AM worship for a potluck luncheon in the fellowship hall. If the weather cooperates, we’ll move onto the lawn and enjoy good food and time together.
United Women in Faith
Tuesday, June 9 at 5 PM at Red Pepper Indian restaurant.
Chancel Choir News
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord! Everyone is invited to be a part of the choir. We share simple, high quality songs so that the trained and untrained singers all have a way to share their gifts.
Next presentation – Sunday, June 18
Rehearsals are immediately following 11 a.m. worship – next dates TBA
Contact Phil with any questions.
Holston Annual Conference has invited all churches that are remaining United Methodist to join together in praying for God’s best in our midst. Pray with all the UMC across our region as we see what God can do when we all seek together:
From the Pastor’s Pen
May 18, 2023
We were so excited to share in worship this week to announce that First UMC and Virginia Avenue UMC will be a 2-point charge, beginning July 1. While much of what we do will remain the same, I will be at both worship services on Sundays, and tending to the needs of both congregations. One of the changes is that we will be returning our worship time to 9:30, like the River service was meeting pre-Covid, beginning Sunday, July 2. We will be sharing more information on the details about choir, Sunday school, and meetings soon.
We all believe that good things will come from our shared work in Bristol, as we alternate Bible study times, share fellowship and mission work, and join some of our youth and children’s ministry with Addilyn, Aldersgate, and Paperville UMC. Pastor Ray Amos, Pastor Mike Teague, and Prue Oxendine will be a part of the joint clergy leadership for our churches in Bristol, TN.
Of course in all of this, I appreciate your support of my dual career over the past year. I am stepping down as a teacher as this year wraps up, and look forward to this return to full-time ministry.
May we find God’s best for us in all these changes!
Addilynn Memorial UMC – 3225 Avoca Rd – Bristol, TN
Whether you lead in your church, your business, or your community, everyone is invited to grow as the church together! Join us on May 20th for training provided by the Clinch Mountain District.
For the better part of a generation, the church has faced a rapidly changing world, one that has pushed the church out of the center of the culture to the margins. Then COVID-19 happened, and the disruption to church as we knew it accelerated. Join us for a workshop on learning to lead all over again in a totally disrupted environment. Tod Bolsinger, author of Canoeing the Mountains and Tempered Resilience, will serve as our guide into the uncharted territory.
$25 per person. Lunch is provided.
Altar Flower Sign Up
Share the beauty of God’s creation as a gift to God and our congregation.
Select your date, and list your name and any details about the flowers. Examples – “in loving memory of _____”, “in celebration of _____”— or it can simply be a gift to the glory of God.
- Cost $50 for a professional arrangement.
- Label your check or envelope as designated to the altar flower fund, with the date you signed up for.
- Deadline for sign up and payment is the Sunday before.
- You may take the flowers after Sunday service or we will distribute them as we are able.
Photo by Penny Hudson
Contact Sue Bryngelson or the church office with any questions.
Send Your Pictures, News, and Announcements to Publish in the Newsletter
For each publication, information is needed by noon on Wednesday.
Giving to Ministries at First UMC
What can I give towards?
- General Fund- monthly expenses for upkeep and ministries
- Designated Gifts- towards a specific project or ministry
- Missions Giving- to a specific mission or a general gift to be split among our mission partners
How often should I give?
- Everyone manages their funds differently. Some give weekly when they attend worship. Other families give monthly when their income is deposited. Still others give at varying times to match a need or a project.
Our only request is that you prayerfully consider how God has called you to support the church and ministries with your fund. We challenge you to be good and faithful stewards of what is entrusted to you.
How can I give?
- In person
- Offering envelope booklets are available for you to take home. Each include 53 undated envelopes for weekly giving, or spread them out over time if you give on a different schedule. Please pick up yours from the rear of the sanctuary.
- Offering envelopes have returned to the pews as well. If you forget yours, please take one for identifying your giving.
- ACH – contact us directly for a confidential form. This type of giving will automatically withdraw the amount your choose directly from your bank account
- With online giving you can contribute from your checking account, or give with a debit or credit card. You also have the option to make your gift recurring.
- Website: onrealm.org/fumcbristol/-/form/give/now or any of the “Give Online” buttons
- Text: from your cell phone, text FIRSTUMCBRISTOL to 73256. This will open up a link for you to choose how you give.
Calendar of Events
May 18-24, 2023
9:30 a.m. Sunday School
11:00 a.m. Morning Worship
7:00 p.m. AA Meetings
7:00 p.m. AA Meetings
7:00 p.m. AA Meetings
Sunday, May 21
12:15 p.m. Worship and Faith in Arts Meeting
4:00 p.m. Trustees Meeting
Sunday, June 4
Potluck Luncheon after Worship
Annual Conference at Lake Junaluska
Pastor Casey vacation
Change to 9:30 worship
First United Methodist Church
Rev. Casey Irwin, Pastor
322 Vance Dr., Bristol, TN 37620
Our Vision – Building A Community Where Anyone Can Become A Deeply Committed Christian