First United Methodist Church of Bristol, Tennessee
Your Weekly e-Newsletter and Events Schedule
Welcome to First UMC! We are so blessed by your part in our faith community.
In-person worship is at 11:00a.m. Sundays in the Sanctuary AND can be viewed on the church YouTube page or through the link on the church Facebook page.
Church Office Hours:
Sundays 2-6 PM
Tuesdays 5-8 PM
Wednesdays 5-8 PM
Connect to Rev. Irwin email, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
The CDC has designated our area as
GREEN (LOW) for COVID-19 transmission this week, so:
> Masks are optional for gathering in person – please respect the safety concerns of others. Masks will be available if you forget to bring your own.
> Sanitize the spaces you use
> If you are unwell, we hope you will stay home and join our fellowship virtually.
Email Prayer Chain
If you are interested in being a part of the email prayer chain, please email Pastor Casey. The messages will be distributed through our email lists on Realm.
Worship This Week
April 23, 2023
Scriptures: John 13:1-17, 1 Peter 2:4-10
Sermon: Live to Serve: From the Heart by Rev. Casey Irwin
Serving This Month
4/9 Alan Gorrell
4/16 Dawn Shores
*Please make arrangements to trade with someone if you will be unable to serve in this way. Any emergency changes can be handled by those present at worship.
Last Sunday at First UMC
April 16, 2023
First Sunday after Easter
Prelude- Walk Hand in Hand – by Johnny Cowell- Phil Haga, organist
Hymn of Praise: 304—Easter People, Raise Your Voices
First Scripture: 1 Peter 1:3-9
Second Scripture: 1 Peter 1:17-25
Sermon: Live to Serve: As God’s Holy People— Rev. Casey Irwin
Hymn of Benediction: 308 — Thine Be the Glory
Postlude: Take My Life and Let it Be by J.W. Stewart; Phil Haga, organist
Photo by Penny Hudson
United Women in Faith
Our next meeting is May 9 at 5:30 pm. Bring your own dinner and join us for some fellowship, mission, and treats!
Read Chapter 2 of our book study this month!
Chancel Choir News
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord! Everyone is invited to be a part of the choir. We share simple, high quality songs so that the trained and untrained singers all have a way to share their gifts.
Next presentation – Sunday, May 14
Rehearsals are immediately following 11 a.m. worship – April 23, 30 and May 7
Contact Phil with any questions.
Holston Annual Conference has invited all churches that are remaining United Methodist to join together in praying for God’s best in our midst. Pray with all the UMC across our region as we see what God can do when we all seek together:
From the Pastor’s Pen
April 20, 2023
…‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you a drink? When did we see you as a stranger and welcome you, or naked and give you clothes to wear? When did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’
Then the king will reply to them, ‘I assure you that when you have done it for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you have done it for me.’ – Matthew 25:37b-40
What a declaration by God, that doing for the least is caring for God’s own. We have an opportunity this weekend to be a part of raising funds that will care for our children in Haiti. Leferne has shared with us that without education, the children’s opportunities are limited. Without the shelter, they may not be able to live indoors, much less eat regularly. But with this opportunity, these children experience both the teachings and the gifts of God.
Consider how you can help: serve at the event on Sunday, attend and bring friends, become a monthly supporter, and pray for our children. They are the future of a country in disarray. This home, and the work in the name of God, are their hope for the future. Serve the least, the youngest, in God’s name.
Help for Haiti Donor Dinner and Auction
VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED FOR THE EVENT:
Sign up on Sundays, or email Pastor Casey to serve in one of the following ways:
Decorating – Friday, April 21 & Saturday, April 22
Event Servers – Sunday, April 23, 4:30-6 pm
Event Greeters – Sunday, April 23, 4:30-5:30 pm
Clean-up Crew- Kitchen – Sunday, April 23, 6:30-8 pm
Clean-up Crew- Fellowship Hall – Sunday, April 23, 7-8 pm
Altar Flower Sign Up
Share the beauty of God’s creation as a gift to God and our congregation.
Select your date, and list your name and any details about the flowers. Examples – “in loving memory of _____”, “in celebration of _____”— or it can simply be a gift to the glory of God.
- Cost $50 for a professional arrangement.
- Label your check or envelope as designated to the altar flower fund, with the date you signed up for.
- Deadline for sign up and payment is the Sunday before.
- You may take the flowers after Sunday service or we will distribute them as we are able.
Photo by Penny Hudson
Contact Sue Bryngelson or the church office with any questions.
Send Your Pictures, News, and Announcements to Publish in the Newsletter
For each publication, information is needed by noon on Wednesday.
Giving to Ministries at First UMC
What can I give towards?
- General Fund- monthly expenses for upkeep and ministries
- Designated Gifts- towards a specific project or ministry
- Missions Giving- to a specific mission or a general gift to be split among our mission partners
How often should I give?
- Everyone manages their funds differently. Some give weekly when they attend worship. Other families give monthly when their income is deposited. Still others give at varying times to match a need or a project.
Our only request is that you prayerfully consider how God has called you to support the church and ministries with your fund. We challenge you to be good and faithful stewards of what is entrusted to you.
How can I give?
- In person
- Offering envelope booklets are available for you to take home. Each include 53 undated envelopes for weekly giving, or spread them out over time if you give on a different schedule. Please pick up yours from the rear of the sanctuary.
- Offering envelopes have returned to the pews as well. If you forget yours, please take one for identifying your giving.
- ACH – contact us directly for a confidential form. This type of giving will automatically withdraw the amount your choose directly from your bank account
- With online giving you can contribute from your checking account, or give with a debit or credit card. You also have the option to make your gift recurring.
- Website: onrealm.org/fumcbristol/-/form/give/now or any of the “Give Online” buttons
- Text: from your cell phone, text FIRSTUMCBRISTOL to 73256. This will open up a link for you to choose how you give.
Calendar of Events
April 20-26, 2023
9:30 a.m. Sunday School
11:00 a.m. Morning Worship
7:00 p.m. AA Meetings
7:00 p.m. AA Meetings
7:00 p.m. AA Meetings
Sunday, April 23
5:00 p.m. Help for Haiti Donor Dinner and Auction
Saturday, April 22
All Day – Special Session of Annual Conference
Saturday, April 29
10:00 a.m. Trustees Church Improvement Day
Tuesday, May 9
5:30 p.m. United Women in Faith Meeting
First United Methodist Church
Rev. Casey Irwin, Pastor
322 Vance Dr., Bristol, TN 37620
Our Vision – Building A Community Where Anyone Can Become A Deeply Committed Christian