First United Methodist Church of Bristol, Tennessee
Your Weekly e-Newsletter and Events Schedule
Welcome to First UMC! We are so blessed by your part in our faith community.
In-person worship is at 11:00a.m. Sundays in the Sanctuary AND can be viewed on the church YouTube page or through the link on the church Facebook page.
Church Office Hours:
Sundays 2-6 PM
Tuesdays 5-8 PM
Wednesdays 5-8 PM
Connect to Rev. Irwin email, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
The CDC has designated our area as
GREEN (LOW) for COVID-19 transmission this week, so:
> Masks are optional for gathering in person – please respect the safety concerns of others. Masks will be available if you forget to bring your own.
> Sanitize the spaces you use
> If you are unwell, we hope you will stay home and join our fellowship virtually.
Email Prayer Chain
If you are interested in being a part of the email prayer chain, please email Pastor Casey. The messages will be distributed through our email lists on Realm.
Worship This Week
April 16, 2023
Scriptures: 1 Peter 1:3-9, 1 Peter 1:17-25
Sermon: Live to Serve: As God’s Holy People by Rev. Casey Irwin
Serving This Month
4/9 Alan Gorrell
4/16 Dawn Shores
*Please make arrangements to trade with someone if you will be unable to serve in this way. Any emergency changes can be handled by those present at worship.
Last Sunday at First UMC
April 9, 2023
Prelude- Christ the Lord is Risen Today……..– Phil Haga, organist
Hymn of Praise—302—Christ the Lord is Risen Today
First Scripture: Psalm 118:1-2, 15-24
Chancel Choir— Thine Be the Glory
Second Scripture: John 20:1-18
Special Music– The Holy City… by Stephen Adams- Phil Haga, soloist
Sermon: He is Risen Indeed— Rev. Casey Irwin
Hymn of Benediction— 327 — Crown Him with Many CrownsPostlude–Easter People Arise!……….by Thomas Lapton– Phil Haga, organist
Photos by Penny Hudson
Memorials given to the Memorial Fund for Bill Olson by
United Women in Faith
Our next meeting is May 9 at 5:30 pm. Bring your own dinner and join us for some fellowship, mission, and treats!
Read Chapter 2 of our book study this month!
From the Pastor’s Pen
April 13, 2023
What a blessing Easter Sunday was for our church! We hosted many visitors from your families, and saw so many familiar faces. The greatest joy though was the resurrection feeling we experienced.
We saw more faces- new life!
We heard how about the successes with the children in Haiti- new life!
We finally launched the upgraded audio/visual system and experienced our screens for the first time- new life!
We restarted the Chancel Choir- new life!
We remembered Christ’s gift of resurrection to forgive us now and forever- new life!
So in the weeks ahead, the invitation is to continue living this new life. Are there people you can bring to experience it with you? Are there ways you can serve to spread this joy to others? May the new life of Christ fill your lives in overflowing abundance that spreads to the world around you. Amen.
Help for Haiti Donor Dinner and Auction
VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED FOR THE EVENT:
Sign up on Sundays, or email Pastor Casey to serve in one of the following ways:
Decorating – Friday, April 21 & Saturday, April 22
Event Servers – Sunday, April 23, 4:30-6 pm
Event Greeters – Sunday, April 23, 4:30-5:30 pm
Clean-up Crew- Kitchen – Sunday, April 23, 6:30-8 pm
Clean-up Crew- Fellowship Hall – Sunday, April 23, 7-8 pm
Altar Flower Sign Up
Share the beauty of God’s creation as a gift to God and our congregation.
Select your date, and list your name and any details about the flowers. Examples – “in loving memory of _____”, “in celebration of _____”— or it can simply be a gift to the glory of God.
- Cost $50 for a professional arrangement.
- Label your check or envelope as designated to the altar flower fund, with the date you signed up for.
- Deadline for sign up and payment is the Sunday before.
- You may take the flowers after Sunday service or we will distribute them as we are able.
Photo by Penny Hudson
Contact Sue Bryngelson or the church office with any questions.
Send Your Pictures, News, and Announcements to Publish in the Newsletter
For each publication, information is needed by noon on Wednesday.
Giving to Ministries at First UMC
What can I give towards?
- General Fund- monthly expenses for upkeep and ministries
- Designated Gifts- towards a specific project or ministry
- Missions Giving- to a specific mission or a general gift to be split among our mission partners
How often should I give?
- Everyone manages their funds differently. Some give weekly when they attend worship. Other families give monthly when their income is deposited. Still others give at varying times to match a need or a project.
Our only request is that you prayerfully consider how God has called you to support the church and ministries with your fund. We challenge you to be good and faithful stewards of what is entrusted to you.
How can I give?
- In person
- Offering envelope booklets are available for you to take home. Each include 53 undated envelopes for weekly giving, or spread them out over time if you give on a different schedule. Please pick up yours from the rear of the sanctuary.
- Offering envelopes have returned to the pews as well. If you forget yours, please take one for identifying your giving.
- ACH – contact us directly for a confidential form. This type of giving will automatically withdraw the amount your choose directly from your bank account
- With online giving you can contribute from your checking account, or give with a debit or credit card. You also have the option to make your gift recurring.
- Website: onrealm.org/fumcbristol/-/form/give/now or any of the “Give Online” buttons
- Text: from your cell phone, text FIRSTUMCBRISTOL to 73256. This will open up a link for you to choose how you give.
Calendar of Events
April 13-19, 2023
9:30 a.m. Sunday School
11:00 a.m. Morning Worship
7:00 p.m. AA Meetings
7:00 p.m. AA Meetings
7:00 p.m. AA Meetings
Friday, April 14
6:00 p.m. Man-Hu Ministries Shabbat
Covered Dish and Open Mic Singing
Sunday, April 16
12:15 p.m. Administrative Board Meeting
4:00 p.m. Trustees Meeting
Sunday, April 23
5:00 p.m. Help for Haiti Donor Dinner and Auction
Saturday, April 22
All Day – Special Session of Annual Conference
Saturday, April 29
10:00 a.m. Trustees Church Improvement Day
Tuesday, May 9
5:30 p.m. United Women in Faith Meeting
First United Methodist Church
Rev. Casey Irwin, Pastor
322 Vance Dr., Bristol, TN 37620
Our Vision – Building A Community Where Anyone Can Become A Deeply Committed Christian