First United Methodist Church of Bristol, Tennessee
Your Weekly e-Newsletter and Events Schedule
Welcome to In-Person Worship Again….
If you are unable to join us for whatever reason, please tune in as we live-stream the service on Facebook.
The CDC has designated our area as
GREEN (LOW) for COVID-19 transmission this week, so:
> Masks are optional for gathering in person – please respect the safety concerns of others. Masks will be available if you forget to bring your own.
> Sanitize the spaces you use
> If you are unwell, we hope you will stay home and join our fellowship virtually.
Church Office Hours:
Sundays 2-6 PM
Tuesdays 5-8 PM
Wednesdays 5-8 PM
In-person worship is at 11:00a.m. Sundays in the Sanctuary AND can be viewed on the church Facebook page.
If you have not connected to FUMC via Facebook, please go do that.
You can also connect to Rev. Irwin on Facebook, on Twitter, and on Instagram.
Email Prayer Chain
If you are interested in being a part of the email prayer chain, please sign up as you exit the sanctuary or email Pastor Casey. The messages will be distributed through our email lists on Realm.
Worship This Week
February 12, 2023
Scriptures: Psalm 103 Mark 2:17-28
Sermon: Breaking the Rules by Rev. Casey Irwin
Serving This Month
2/5 Dawn Shores
2/12 Sue Dietz
2/19 Jennifer Daniel
2/26 Alan Gorrell
*Please make arrangements to trade with someone if you will be unable to serve in this way. Any emergency changes can be handled by those present at worship.
Last Sunday at First UMC
February 5, 2023
Fifth Sunday after Epiphany
Prelude: Hymn of Promise— by Natalie Sleeth; Phil Haga, organist
Hymn of Praise:127— Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah
First Scripture: Psalm 146
Second Scripture: Ruth 2:10-20
Sermon: Being Consistent by Mia Foote
Hymn of Benediction: UMH 569 — We’ve A Story to Tell to the Nations
Postlude: For the Beauty of the Earth— by Roger Addington; Phil Haga, organist
As icy winter weather comes and goes, please use your best judgment for driving to the church in this season. We have the opportunity to worship virtually with Facebook and YouTube recordings, an online bulletin, or a DVD of worship can be requested from Pastor Casey.
Any cancellation of services will be shared no later than 10 AM on our website and Facebook.
Jubilation Retreat 2023
April 24-26, the Holston Conference is hosting a retreat for older adults across the whole East TN and Southwest VA area. It’s a great time of humor, sharing, and growth in faith. A group from our congregation is organizing to go, so check out the linked information if you need a getaway!
Register online at https://holston-reg.brtapp.com/2022Jubilation71
Click here to view pricing or print your own registration form, or pick one up from our information tables at the church. Contact Suzanne Rollins if you plan to attend or have any questions.
From the Treasurer … GIVING STATEMENTS
Giving statements were emailed last Thursday and are available in person at the church. These will give your giving information for the 2022 year. If you do not receive one and feel you should, please contact Sue Dietz.
United Women in Faith
We will be starting a book study along with our gathering times.
Life Together in Christ by Ruth Haley Barton
Please let Pastor Casey or Suzanne Rollins know if you need a book ordered for $21.
All women are invited to our next meeting February 14 @ 5:30 PM. Light supper will be provided.
Ash Wednesday Worship
6 PM, February 22
Join us in-person and online for contemplative worship as we seek forgiveness together.
From the Pastor’s Pen
February 9, 2023
Thank you for your prayers and support during my procedure and recovery. I am not back to full movement yet, but I am working from home. I will return to worship and communion with you on Sunday, and back to the office this week. Due to my procedure, a couple of meetings have been rescheduled, please check the calendar for changes. The voting members of these groups have been notified directly.
As I went through my procedure this week, I was struck by the measures we had to go through for such a small mass of cells. I had a benign growth in my abdomen, and the cells had been forming there since giving birth to my daughter in 2014. They may have even dated back to my son’s birth in 2010. Either way, these few cells had sat dormant, with only the occasional pain or discomfort for the first 6 years of their life. Over the past year and a half, they had suddenly experienced a rapid growth cycle, causing higher and higher pain levels. In fact, the mass had grown a whole centimeter between my first procedure September 30, and my second procedure on January 30. And while I know this description can make some of us a bit queasy, it’s also a good metaphor for our lives.
We have so many experiences and choices that remain dormant, not becoming an issue or a roadblock for months, or even years. Then something triggers a response, and we’re faced with a much larger problem than we imagined. Maybe it is physical or medical. However, spiritual and emotional struggles can be experienced the same way. A habit builds, an attitude worsens, a small choice develops into a sinful pattern. And the longer we wait, the larger the problem becomes, until excising it from our lives becomes inconvenient and even invasive.
Lent begins in a couple of weeks, a time for us to contemplate our own spiritual state of being and repent of our sins. But why wait? If we know now that something is an issue, we believe in a God who can and will help us pull it from our lives, no matter how messy the process. I invite you to find relief and recovery with me in the days ahead as we repent before the Lord.
Altar Flower Sign Up
Share the beauty of God’s creation as a gift to God and our congregation.
Select your date, and list your name and any details about the flowers. Examples – “in loving memory of _____”, “in celebration of _____”— or it can simply be a gift to the glory of God.
- Cost $50 for a professional arrangement.
- Label your check or envelope as designated to the altar flower fund, with the date you signed up for.
- Deadline for sign up and payment is the Sunday before.
- You may take the flowers after Sunday service or we will distribute them as we are able.
Photo by Penny Hudson
Contact Sue Bryngelson or the church office with any questions.
Celebrating Love Gala
Bristol, Virginia UMC Hub is raising funds for Kenya Mission Trip 2023
Saturday, February 11th
Doors – 5:30
Dinner – 6:00
Reynolds Memorial United Methodist Church
Prepared by an Executive Chef:
Wedge Salad, Chicken, Wild Rice, Green Beans, Rolls, Dessert
Entertainment, Silent Auction, Games, Photo Booth
$40 per plate+ Tips Appreciated
“We love because he first loved us.” 1 John 4:19
*Please purchase your ticket before 1/31/23. Only 72 tickets available.
Checks can be made to Reynolds Memorial UMC with Kenya Mission Trip Fundraiser in the memo line.
Serve with First UMC
What is God calling you to do? What ministries bring you joy?
First UMC is adding volunteers to serve on rotations for:
- Liturgist– read the Sunday Announcements, Responsive Reading, or other speaking opportunities
- Sunday Ushers– Assist people before and after worship with seating and questions. Weekly or monthly rotation as needed.
- Offering Counting Teams- Teams of 2 people count the offering together each Sunday and log the results. Weekly or month rotations are available and record sheets are provided.
- Videographer– It’s easier than it sounds! If you’re not familiar with Facebook Live, Pastor Casey or another leader will have the account open for you– just click “Go Live” and rotate the tripod if we need a different camera angle
- Administrative Tasks– Choose one or several areas to serve– proofread the bulletin, check the church voicemail, run DVD and newsletter copies weekly for shut ins, address church mailers.
- Gardening and Weeding– You choose your schedule to maintain a beautiful and inviting environment at our building.
Reply here via email or check with Pastor Casey for more opportunities to use your gifts in God’s Kingdom.
Send Your Pictures, News, and Announcements to Publish in the Newsletter
For each publication, information is needed by noon on Wednesday.
Giving to Ministries at First UMC
What can I give towards?
- General Fund- monthly expenses for upkeep and ministries
- Designated Gifts- towards a specific project or ministry
- Missions Giving- to a specific mission or a general gift to be split among our mission partners
How often should I give?
- Everyone manages their funds differently. Some give weekly when they attend worship. Other families give monthly when their income is deposited. Still others give at varying times to match a need or a project.
Our only request is that you prayerfully consider how God has called you to support the church and ministries with your fund. We challenge you to be good and faithful stewards of what is entrusted to you.
How can I give?
- In person
- Offering envelope booklets are available for you to take home. Each include 53 undated envelopes for weekly giving, or spread them out over time if you give on a different schedule. Please pick up yours from the rear of the sanctuary.
- Offering envelopes have returned to the pews as well. If you forget yours, please take one for identifying your giving.
- ACH – contact us directly for a confidential form. This type of giving will automatically withdraw the amount your choose directly from your bank account
- With online giving you can contribute from your checking account, or give with a debit or credit card. You also have the option to make your gift recurring.
- Website: onrealm.org/fumcbristol/-/form/give/now or any of the “Give Online” buttons
- Text: from your cell phone, text FIRSTUMCBRISTOL to 73256. This will open up a link for you to choose how you give.
Calendar of Events
February 9-15, 2023
9:30 a.m. Sunday School
11:00 a.m. Morning Worship
– We are following the CDC Guidelines for in person gatherings – we will publish the recommended precautions each week in this newsletter and on our facebook page.
7:00 p.m. AA Meetings
7:00 p.m. AA Meetings
7:00 p.m. AA Meetings
Sunday, February 12
12:15 p.m. Worship Committee & Faith in the Arts Meeting
Tuesday, February 14
5:30 p.m. United Women in Faith Meal and Meeting
Sunday, February 19
4:00 p.m. Trustees Meeting
Wednesday, February 22
4:30 p.m. Help for Haiti Board Meeting
6:00 p.m. Ash Wednesday Worship
First United Methodist Church
Rev. Casey Irwin, Pastor
322 Vance Dr., Bristol, TN 37620
Our Vision – Building A Community Where Anyone Can Become A Deeply Committed Christian