First United Methodist Church of Bristol, Tennessee
Your Weekly e-Newsletter and Events Schedule
Welcome to In-Person Worship Again….
If you are unable to join us for whatever reason, please tune in as we live-stream the service on Facebook.
The CDC has designated our area as
YELLOW (Medium) for COVID-19 transmission this week, so:
> Masks are optional, but recommended if you are high risk for gathering in person – please respect the safety concerns of others. Masks will be available if you forget to bring your own.
> If you are unwell, we hope you will stay home and join our fellowship virtually.
Church Office Hours:
Sundays 2-6 PM
Tuesdays 5-8 PM
Wednesdays 5-8 PM
In-person worship is at 11:00a.m. Sundays in the Sanctuary AND can be viewed on the church Facebook page.
If you have not connected to FUMC via Facebook, please go do that.
You can also connect to Rev. Irwin on Facebook, on Twitter, and on Instagram.
Email Prayer Chain
If you are interested in being a part of the email prayer chain, please sign up as you exit the sanctuary or email Pastor Casey. The messages will be distributed through our email lists on Realm.
Worship This Week
February 5, 2023
Scriptures: Ruth 2:10-20
Sermon: “Being Consistent” by Mia Foote
Serving This Month
2/5 Dawn Shores
2/12 Sue Dietz
2/19 Jennifer Daniel
2/26 Alan Gorrell
*Please make arrangements to trade with someone if you will be unable to serve in this way. Any emergency changes can be handled by those present at worship.
Last Sunday at First UMC
January 29, 2023
Fourth Sunday after Epiphany
Prelude- Betty Curtis, pianist
Hymn of Praise: 451— Be Thou My Vision
First Scripture: Psalm 41
Second Scripture: Mark 1:40-45
Sermon: Heal Me, Lord! by Rev. Casey Irwin
Hymn of Benediction: TFWS 2140 — Since Jesus Came Into My Heart
Postlude: Betty Curtis, pianist
As icy winter weather quickly approaches, please use your best judgment for driving to the church in this season. We have the opportunity to worship virtually with Facebook and YouTube recordings, an online bulletin, or a DVD of worship can be requested from Pastor Casey.
Any cancellation of services will be shared no later than 10 AM on our website and Facebook.
Jubilation Retreat 2023
April 24-26, the Holston Conference is hosting a retreat for older adults across the whole East TN and Southwest VA area. It’s a great time of humor, sharing, and growth in faith. A group from our congregation is organizing to go, so check out the linked information if you need a getaway!
Register online at https://holston-reg.brtapp.com/2022Jubilation71
Click here to view pricing or print your own registration form, or pick one up from our information tables at the church. Contact Suzanne Rollins if you plan to attend or have any questions.
From the Treasurer … GIVING STATEMENTS
Thursday the giving statements will be emailed. These will give your giving information for the 2022 year. If you do not receive one and feel you should, please contact Sue Dietz.
United Women in Faith
We will be starting a book study along with our gathering times.
Life Together in Christ by Ruth Haley Barton
Please let Pastor Casey or Suzanne Rollins know if you need a book ordered for $21.
All women are invited to our next meeting February 14 @ 5:30 PM. Light supper will be provided.
Missions Committee is re-forming. We are looking for people in the congregation who want to reach our local community and/or coordinate the planning and monetary resources.
Our goal is to reach and support our community in the name of Christ.
- Planning Committee
- Assembling Care Packages
- Volunteering at Events
First decision-making meeting will be set based on participant availability. Please contact Pastor Casey with any questions.
Sign up via email or on the sign-up sheet in the sanctuary.
From the Pastor’s Pen
January 26, 2023 REPRINT FROM LAST WEEK
I have been scheduled for round 2 of my abdominal procedure on Tuesday, January 31. We will have a guest on Sunday, February 5, and I will be out of the office for that week and working from home for some of the following week too. This is not a serious procedure, but the location makes it hard to move around for about a week.
I appreciate your prayers and flexibility as I deal with the last step in this particular medical journey.
Altar Flower Sign Up
Share the beauty of God’s creation as a gift to God and our congregation.
Select your date, and list your name and any details about the flowers. Examples – “in loving memory of _____”, “in celebration of _____”— or it can simply be a gift to the glory of God.
- Cost $50 for a professional arrangement.
- Label your check or envelope as designated to the altar flower fund, with the date you signed up for.
- Deadline for sign up and payment is the Sunday before.
- You may take the flowers after Sunday service or we will distribute them as we are able.
Contact Sue Bryngelson or the church office with any questions.
Celebrating Love Gala
Bristol, Virginia UMC Hub is raising funds for Kenya Mission Trip 2023
Saturday, February 11th
Doors – 5:30
Dinner – 6:00
Reynolds Memorial United Methodist Church
Prepared by an Executive Chef:
Wedge Salad, Chicken, Wild Rice, Green Beans, Rolls, Dessert
Entertainment, Silent Auction, Games, Photo Booth
$40 per plate+ Tips Appreciated
“We love because he first loved us.” 1 John 4:19
*Please purchase your ticket before 1/31/23. Only 72 tickets available.
Checks can be made to Reynolds Memorial UMC with Kenya Mission Trip Fundraiser in the memo line.
Serve with First UMC
What is God calling you to do? What ministries bring you joy?
First UMC is adding volunteers to serve on rotations for:
- Liturgist– read the Sunday Announcements, Responsive Reading, or other speaking opportunities
- Sunday Ushers– Assist people before and after worship with seating and questions. Weekly or monthly rotation as needed.
- Offering Counting Teams- Teams of 2 people count the offering together each Sunday and log the results. Weekly or month rotations are available and record sheets are provided.
- Videographer– It’s easier than it sounds! If you’re not familiar with Facebook Live, Pastor Casey or another leader will have the account open for you– just click “Go Live” and rotate the tripod if we need a different camera angle
- Administrative Tasks– Choose one or several areas to serve– proofread the bulletin, check the church voicemail, run DVD and newsletter copies weekly for shut ins, address church mailers.
- Gardening and Weeding– You choose your schedule to maintain a beautiful and inviting environment at our building.
Reply here via email or check with Pastor Casey for more opportunities to use your gifts in God’s Kingdom.
Send Your Pictures, News, and Announcements to Publish in the Newsletter
For each publication, information is needed by noon on Wednesday.
Giving to Ministries at First UMC
What can I give towards?
- General Fund- monthly expenses for upkeep and ministries
- Designated Gifts- towards a specific project or ministry
- Missions Giving- to a specific mission or a general gift to be split among our mission partners
How often should I give?
- Everyone manages their funds differently. Some give weekly when they attend worship. Other families give monthly when their income is deposited. Still others give at varying times to match a need or a project.
Our only request is that you prayerfully consider how God has called you to support the church and ministries with your fund. We challenge you to be good and faithful stewards of what is entrusted to you.
How can I give?
- In person
- Offering envelope booklets are available for you to take home. Each include 53 undated envelopes for weekly giving, or spread them out over time if you give on a different schedule. Please pick up yours from the rear of the sanctuary.
- Offering envelopes have returned to the pews as well. If you forget yours, please take one for identifying your giving.
- ACH – contact us directly for a confidential form. This type of giving will automatically withdraw the amount your choose directly from your bank account
- With online giving you can contribute from your checking account, or give with a debit or credit card. You also have the option to make your gift recurring.
- Website: onrealm.org/fumcbristol/-/form/give/now or any of the “Give Online” buttons
- Text: from your cell phone, text FIRSTUMCBRISTOL to 73256. This will open up a link for you to choose how you give.
Calendar of Events
February 2-8, 2023
9:30 a.m. Sunday School
11:00 a.m. Morning Worship
– We are following the CDC Guidelines for in person gatherings – we will publish the recommended precautions each week in this newsletter and on our facebook page.
7:00 p.m. AA Meetings
7:00 p.m. AA Meetings
7:00 p.m. AA Meetings
Wednesday, February 8
5:00 p.m. Help for Haiti Board Meeting
Sunday, February 12
12:15 p.m. Worship Committee & Faith in the Arts Meeting
Tuesday, February 14
5:30 p.m. United Women in Faith Meal and Meeting
Sunday, February 19
4:00 p.m. Trustees Meeting
Wednesday, February 22
6:00 p.m. Ash Wednesday Worship
First United Methodist Church
Rev. Casey Irwin, Pastor
322 Vance Dr., Bristol, TN 37620
Our Vision – Building A Community Where Anyone Can Become A Deeply Committed Christian