First United Methodist Church of Bristol, Tennessee
Your Weekly e-Newsletter and Events Schedule
Welcome to In-Person Worship Again….
If you are unable to join us for whatever reason, please tune in as we live-stream the service on Facebook.
The CDC has designated our local area as GREEN (LOW) for COVID-19 transmission this week, so:
> Masks are optional for gathering in person – please respect the safety concerns of others. Masks will be available if you forget to bring your own.
> If you are unwell, we hope you will stay home and join our fellowship virtually.
Church Office Hours:
Sundays 2-6 PM
Tuesdays 4-7 PM
Wednesdays 4-8 PM
In-person worship is at 11:00a.m. Sundays in the Sanctuary AND can be viewed on the church Facebook page.
Email Prayer Chain
If you are interested in being a part of the email prayer chain, please sign up as you exit the sanctuary or email Pastor Casey. The messages will be distributed through our email lists on Realm.
Worship This Week
October 23, 2022
Joshua 5:13-6:5, 16-20
Sermon: Pray Big by Rev. Casey Irwin
Serving in October
10/16 Dawn Shores
10/23 Alan Gorrell
10/30 Dawn Shores
Greeters and Ushers
*Please make arrangements to trade with someone if you will be unable to serve in this way. Any emergency changes can be handled by those present at worship.
Last Sunday at First UMC
October 16, 2022
Prelude: What Wondrous Love is This by Paul Christiansen; Phil Haga, organist
Hymn of Praise: 384 – Love Divine, All Love Excelling
First Scripture: Genesis 32:22-31
Second Scripture: Luke 18:1-8
Sermon: Perseverance in the Face of Impossibilities by Dr. Alan Gorrell
Hymn of Benediction: 526 – What a Friend We Have in Jesus
Postlude: Crown Him With Many Crowns by George J. Elvey; Phil Haga, organist
Missional Hub Events
As we work on what our shared ministry looks like, a few joint opportunities with South Bristol and Addilyn Memorial are coming up. Please mark your calendars and bring a friend!
- 10/16 Community BBQ featuring Cedar Valley Bluegrass at South Bristol
- 10/19 Monthly Community Dinner at Addilyn Memorial
- 10/30 Trunk or Treat on the Parkway at South Bristol- 5-6:30 PM – Distribute candy, serve the free meal, or donate water bottles, chips, or candy. Sign up in worship or by emailing Pastor Casey. Join us also by encouraging the nearby businesses to set up a trunk!
- TBA- Thanksgiving Community Worship Service
- Bristol Area Advent Lunches
- November 30 – Trinity UMC
- December 7 – TBA
- December 14 – Beech Grove UMC
- December 21 – First UMC
As we pray for the victims of the hurricane and the other disasters it has caused, consider how you can give to support the efforts of the UMC recovery teams that are on the ground providing relief. Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayers.
All Saints Day Remembrance
In preparation for the first Sunday of November, we would like assistance in listing the names of members and constituents who have passed away in the past year. With the change in pastors, we do not want anyone to be overlooked.
Please email their name and a photo if possible so we can faithfully celebrate the great cloud of witnesses from First UMC Bristol.
New Book Study Group at First
Anyone of any age is welcome join our new Wednesday night study!
Do you ever sense that there’s far more to prayer, and God’s vision for your life, than what you’re experiencing? Our book centers on the Jewish sage, Honi the Circle Maker, as well as the Biblical principles of praying boldly as a people of God. What do you need to circle in prayer? What can our church circle in prayer? What seems impossible to us, could be a calling from God for our community and our world. “God Honors Bold Prayers because Bold Prayers Honor God”
Bring your dinner along to share food together or join us at 6:30 p.m. for an hour of growing in faith as we reform our prayer life. Study guides will be provided, but the series is based on the book The Circle Maker by Pastor Mark Batterson.
Trustees Church Improvement Day
When: Saturday, November 12– 10 a.m. until you need to leave
What: Anything that needs doing to make our church building more inviting
If you don’t have a project in mind, we have painting, cleaning, and wood refinishing you can do. Or come and fellowship and work on a space you’ve been waiting to update. Sign up in worship or email Tom Felty the hours you can be present.
From the Pastor’s Pen
October 20, 2022
“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.” Matthew 7:7-8
We all know that prayer isn’t a magic formula or a wish list we send to God expecting its total fulfillment. Yet we are invited to ask and knock and seek and find. We are invited by God to pray and pray and pray again. Sometimes we are even invited with specific patterns and processes, like fasting, or washing a certain way. The sermon series for the next 4 weeks is about drawing circles of prayer, taking what we pray for and visually or even physically circling it. We begin to seek with the eyes of God and find answers with the heart of God. We begin to ask, not what we want, but what we need, as God shapes our prayer life.
Join me in the prayer challenge over the next several weeks as we seek God’s answers for our lives, our church, and the world around us.
Altar Flower Sign Up
Share the beauty of God’s creation as a gift to God and our congregation.
Select your date, and list your name and any details about the flowers. Examples – “in loving memory of _____”, “in celebration of _____”— or it can simply be a gift to the glory of God.
- Cost $50 for a professional arrangement.
- Label your check or envelope as designated to the altar flower fund, with the date you signed up for.
- Deadline for sign up and payment is the Sunday before.
- You may take the flowers after Sunday service or we will distribute them as we are able.
Contact Sue Bryngelson or the church office with any questions.
Bristol Faith in Action
Thank you to everyone who donated food in September. Your small gift makes a big difference in our local community in the name of Christ. Look at how much we were able to share!
Elk Garden Project
Calling all knitters and crocheters! A Christmas outreach of Elk Garden Community School is to include homemade dishcloths in the December food bags provided. Rev. Valerie Ritter is asking for volunteers or yarn donations. Any pattern will work.Contact Rev. Valerie or our church office with any questions.
The Love Beyond Borders campaign aims to raise funds for the equitable distribution of COVID-19 vaccines around the world. The initiative has emerged from First United Methodist Church, Boise, ID and seeks to engage The United Methodist Church in supporting COVAX alongside UNICEF, the key vaccine delivery partner.
All funds raised will be sent to UNICEF for this project. More information about Love Beyond Borders is here.
A Note From Our Lay Leader
Serve with Sunday Worship
What is God calling you to do? What ministries bring you joy?
First UMC is adding volunteers to serve on rotations for:
- Liturgist– read the Sunday Announcements, Responsive Reading, or other speaking opportunities
- Sunday Ushers– Assist people before and after worship with seating and questions. Gather and bring forward the offerings to God. Weekly or monthly rotation as needed.
- Videographer– It’s easier than it sounds! If you’re not familiar with Facebook Live, Pastor Casey or another leader will have the account open for you– just click “Go Live” and rotate the tripod if we need a different camera angle
- Administrative Tasks– Choose one or several areas to serve– proofread the bulletin, check the church voicemail, run DVD and newsletter copies weekly for shut ins, address church mailers.
- Gardening and Weeding– You choose your schedule to maintain a beautiful and inviting environment at our building.
Reply here via email or check with Pastor Casey for more opportunities to use your gifts in God’s Kingdom.
Send Your Pictures, News, and Announcements to Publish in the Newsletter
For each publication, information is needed by noon on Wednesday.
Giving to Ministries at First UMC
What can I give towards?
- General Fund- monthly expenses for upkeep and ministries
- Designated Gifts- towards a specific project or ministry
- Missions Giving- to a specific mission or a general gift to be split among our mission partners
How often should I give?
- Everyone manages their funds differently. Some give weekly when they attend worship. Other families give monthly when their income is deposited. Still others give at varying times to match a need or a project.
Our only request is that you prayerfully consider how God has called you to support the church and ministries with your fund. We challenge you to be good and faithful stewards of what is entrusted to you.
How can I give?
- In person
- Offering envelope booklets are available for you to take home. Each include 53 undated envelopes for weekly giving, or spread them out over time if you give on a different schedule. Please pick up yours from the rear of the sanctuary.
- Offering envelopes have returned to the pews as well. If you forget yours, please take one for identifying your giving.
- ACH – contact us directly for a confidential form. This type of giving will automatically withdraw the amount your choose directly from your bank account
- With online giving you can contribute from your checking account, or give with a debit or credit card. You also have the option to make your gift recurring.
- Website: onrealm.org/fumcbristol/-/form/give/now or any of the “Give Online” buttons
- Text: from your cell phone, text FIRSTUMCBRISTOL to 73256. This will open up a link for you to choose how you give.
Calendar of Events
October 6-12, 2022
9:30 a.m. Sunday School
11:00 a.m. Morning Worship – We are following the CDC Guidelines for in person gatherings – we will publish the recommended precautions each week in this newsletter and on our facebook page.
6:08 p.m. Bristol Hub Youth at Reynolds Memorial UMC
7:00 p.m. AA Meetings
7:00 p.m. AA Meetings
7:00 p.m. AA Meetings
12:00 p.m. Worship Committee and Faith and the Arts Meeting
3:00 p.m. Charge Conference at Reynolds Memorial UMC
5-6:30 p.m. Trunk or Treat on the Parkway at South Bristol UMC
10 a.m. Church Improvement Day
12:15 p.m. Administrative Board Meeting
4:00 p.m. Trustees Meeting
First United Methodist Church
Rev. Casey Irwin, Pastor
322 Vance Dr., Bristol, TN 37620
Our Vision – Building A Community Where Anyone Can Become A Deeply Committed Christian